Phew what a day. Started off with a great workout and has ended with a glass of pinot grigio and a great squash and couscous casserole.
I got up this morning and went to the gym. It seems that I am averaging 2 out of 5 days a week of early morning workouts. I would like 5 out of 5 but I will take what I can get. I think I have no problem waking up when I know I can’t fit in a workout at any other time but when my brain knows I can find time it zonks me out until the very last minute.
At the gym (which was pretty busy for a middle of the week am) I did 30 minutes on the Arc Trainer and then today was chest and triceps. Here is what I did:
- Dumbbell Chest Press – 3 sets of 10 w/ 20lb dumbbells
- Dumbbell Chest Fly’s- 3 sets of 10 w/20lb dumbbells
- Chest Press with a 30lb bar – 3 sets of 15
- Tricep press with a 30lb bar- 3 sets of 12
- Tricep dips (own body weight)- 3 sets of 10
- Push ups using bench- 3 sets of 10
- Tricep pull downs- 3 sets of 10 (2 sets at 45lbs and 1 set at 50lbs)
And in between all of those I alternated between bicycles, reverse crunches, toe touches and v sit pull ins (I will keep calling it different things until I get the correct terminology haha).
Work was work. I had some projects to get through but nothing to exciting. Oh wait… what is exciting is I work across the street from Bryant Park and yesterday they started putting up the tent for Fashion Week! I can’t wait to see all the celebs come in (even though I hear the good ones come through a back entrance)!
After work I had to run to K-mart and Ikea to get some things for the house (throw pillows, extra pillow for guests, cat bed, etc.). K-mart wasn’t as bad as I expected so I was in and out relatively quick (minus stopping in their dishware section to check out bowls 😉 ). Then it was on to Ikea.
Now because there aren’t a lot of Ikea’s in the NYC Metro Area, the ones that are around offer convenient transportation options. The one in Brooklyn in particular offers a free shuttle that happens to be 4 blocks away from my apartment.
So I had a list of things I wanted and I told myself I wasn’t going to wander and for the most part I didn’t. This time around I wasn’t impressed with Ikea. In the past I can spend hours there, this time it was just blah… I hope that changes cause you can get some great deals there.
Anyway, after a quick turn around I was home. STARVING! So I prepared dinner. Baked Couscous with Summer Squash. Now I know Fall is almost hear and that type of squash really is not in season but that is one of my favorite dishes to make.
Baked Couscous with Summer Squash
1 14oz can of vegetable broth, divided
3/4 cup of couscous
2 small yellow squash, sliced
1/2 cup of green onions, sliced
1 Tbs of fresh basil (I used dried)
1 Tbs of fresh oregano (I used dried)
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 cup of fontina cheese, shredded
1/4 cup of parmesan cheese, grated
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 group pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray baking/casserole dish with cooking spray
2. In medium saucepan, bring 1 cup of broth to a boil. Cook couscous as directed
3. Heat a medium to large skillet. Coat pan with nonstick spray. Add squash, onions, basil, oregano and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes or until squash is tender. Set aside
4. Combine cheeses
5. In casserole dish mix couscous, squash mixture and half of the cheeses. Stir in the remaining broth, egg, salt and pepper. Top with remaining cheese
6 Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown
Well I am off to prepare for a new day.
So here is a question, anyone ever had a favorite store and then when you go back you realize you’ve lost your spark for it? If so did you ever love it again?